The Rev George Howell was part of the Reformed Episcopal Church when he was at St Paul’s.
The Rev. George Howell began his clergy career as the Pastor of the Freewill Baptist Church. He had been ordained a Baptist minister in Nantucket in 1861, and went to Freewill Baptist church on trial for three months. At the expiration of that time he was called as pastor, and was recognized by a council held on the 12th of November 1861.
On the 28th of May, 1862, Mr. Howell sent in his resignation, which was accepted. He was ordained an Episcopal deacon in the Diocese of Massachusetts on June 20th 1864 and was serving a church in Pennsylvania as a deacon. About the 1st of November 1864, he moved to Christ Church, Waltham, during the absence due to illness of its Rector, the Rev. T. F. Fales.
June 15th 1866 he became Rector of Calvary Church, Danvers, Mass. In 1869 he was serving Mount Zion Church in Baltimore after serving as Assistant in Emmanuel church Baltimore, Maryland, later known as All Saints’ (P. E.) Church, which became a mission of the Church of the Ascension. In 1878 it became a mission of the Church of the Ascension, under the name of All Saints’,
In 1871 Mr Howell went to Grace Church, City Island (Westchester County). Rev. George Howell moved from Grace Church, City Island, Westchester County in 1874 and took charge of The Episcopal Church of the Atonement in Madison Avenue.
At the end 1875, the Second Reformed Episcopal Church, New York City, was organized, with about 100 members, and the Rev. George Howell, was called as Rector where he remained for eight years.
He served St Paul’s on Put-in-Bay from 1883 to 1888.
After leaving St. Paul’s, he returned to the Episcopal church.
The Rev. GEORGE HOWELL, re-opened and became minister to St. James’ Memorial, church in Eatontown., NJ. Later in 1889, the Rev. George Howell was installed as rector of Christ Church Shrewsbury, New Jersey. His stay was short, as he resigned June 29, 1890 and became an Assistant Minister in the Episcopal Church of Washington D.C.